Chebucto Connections has been a registered charity since 1987, we work with community to identify and address local interests and concerns. Over recent years much focus has been on youth, children, mental health and a sense of belonging. We have worked collaboratively to attract resources that help address the concerns, while enriching quality of life and a sense of well-being.
Role Board of Directors
The board is a leadership team with a vital purpose. Some general responsibilities unique to the board of directors are:
- Attending monthly meetings (4th Monday at 6pm, approximately 90 minutes)
- Hiring, terminating, raises and job description of the Executive Director
- Possibly sitting on sub-committees such as fundraising or marketing
- Attending events and visiting programs-in-action
Guiding Principles of Board Members
- Members of Chebucto Connections shall be selected in accordance with the by-laws
- Each member is 18 years or older
- Minimum of 2 year term commitment
- If a member is unable to complete their term the vacancy will be filled using the selection process
- A member that is not present at 3 or more meetings within 12 month period may be asked to resign
There is a commitment of 2 years at which time directors may run for re-election up to 3 consecutive terms. On average a dedicated board member volunteers 2 to 4 hours per month.
Chebucto Connections encourages a diversified board with directors from a wide range of demographics, experience and qualities. Some ideal skills and qualities we are looking for in our board are:
- Strategic Planning
- Knowledge of financial services
- Knowledge of community issues
- Personal commitment
- Group decision making
Chair – Runs board meetings, represents Chebucto Connections (this could include public speaking at events). Attends functions on behalf of Chebucto Connections. Develops agendas for meetings. Evaluates Chebucto Connections performance in achieving mission on an annual basis.
Vice Chair – Serves directly under the chair and is next in line to serve as chair if that person is not present.
Secretary – Takes meeting minutes and sends them to board members for amendments and approval in a timely manner.
Treasurer – Prepares and delivers a treasurers report at the board meetings on a quarterly basis.
Board members – Attend meetings, receive updates and vote on board matters. As a board member you have the responsibility to actively participate in discussions/decisions and the right to make motions, discuss and vote on them.
There shall be a minimum of 5 members and a maximum of 12 members on the Chebucto Connections board.
Volunteer Application (Board of Directors)
Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to +1 (902) 477-8984