Student Parent Support Worker
Start Date: ASAP
Contract Length: 1 year with option to renew if funding is available
Salary: 20.51 hourly
Hours: 37.5 hrs. per week
Chebucto Connections is a community development agency focused on addressing our communities most urgent social issues. We provide a variety of programs and services aimed at poverty, social isolation and education. Our Pathways to Education program plays an important role in developing confidence and building resiliency within young people in the Spryfield area. Pathways develops the community by lowering the high school dropout rate and increasing post-secondary education access among disadvantaged youth through academic, leadership, financial, and social supports.is focused on increasing graduation rates in our community to break the cycle of poverty.
- Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and families in grade 9-12
- Understand the educational strengths and challenges faced by participants
- Refer individual students and their parents/guardians to other agencies when appropriate.
- Support and supervise volunteers during programming
- Help organize and develop any needed resources and handouts for programming
- Oversee student academic success through meetings with students, teachers and parents/guardians
- Respond to incidents or crisis and build youth capacity to advocate for themselves
- Facilitate health curriculum sessions with youth
Qualifications and Skills
- Relevant combination of experience and University (preferred) education in Education, Community Development or Social Sciences
- Experience working with diverse populations of youth, one-on-one and in groups
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills, written and presentation skills
- Exceptional verbal communication skills and able to thoughtfully and effectively communicate with staff, volunteers and the public
- At least 3 years experience facilitating groups of youth
- Proficient in Computer use including Microsoft Office and comfortable working with databases
- Ability to set priorities, manage time and workloads and work in a team setting
- Knowledge of community and social service resources that support youth and families is an asset
Please apply by submitting resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline August 6th @ 4pm.