Chebucto Connections recognizes that youth can face a number barriers when looking for employment. Our Elevate Employment Program is designed to assist youth between the ages of 15 and 30 with individually tailored employment readiness skills and training as well as quality employment.
The Elevate Program offers six weeks of paid training, in a field of interest, as well as an 18 week job placement with a local business or organization. Participants are guaranteed to develop skills and gain employment experience related to their career and educational goals. At the end of the program participants will be set up to succeed in the labour market.
What Elevate offers:
- Employment Skills Training
- Quality Employment Training
- Job Placement
Supports available to help youth participate include:
- Child Care Supports
- Case Management
- Other supports may be available
Employment Skills Training
Duration: 35 hours a week for 6 weeks
Setting: Training could include individual training, group training, and virtual training. Delivery will depend on participant needs and public safety protocols.
Training Subsidy: A living allowance comparable to the Nova Scotia Minimum wage will be paid every two weeks.
- Guidance with career paths and choices
- What to expect on the road to employment
- Help with writing resumes and cover letters
- Interview preparation and planning
- Project Management
- Making educational and employment decisions
- Study skills for college
- Tips on work ethic
- How to strengthen communication and social skills
- Customer service skills
- Help using software such as Microsoft office, word, excel, PowerPoint
- Service Project or art based therapy
- Skill share
- How to write a personal statement for Post-secondary and scholarships
- Internet and social media skills and etiquette
- Time management
- Anger Management
- Goal setting and journey mapping
*Additional training courses will be made available to participants based on their employment goals; these may include CPR and first aid training, Microsoft training, courses related to the construction industry.
We will work with the youth to find a job placement in their area of interest.
Duration: 35 hours a week for 18 weeks
Placement Wage: $13.35 per hour
Participants must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive)
- A Canadian Citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Legally Entitled to work in Canada
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
For more information please contact: Jackie Desrochers
Telephone: (902) 818-7095 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org