WHAT IS THE T.O.N.E APPROACH?
- Support men to increase their mental wellness.
- Uses non-traditional methods and experiences (adventure, nature, community service and hands-on learning)as the tools for therapy.
- Expands the idea of ‘HOW and WHERE’ therapy can happen to increase engagement in therapy/wellness
- Creates a supportive community among men.
- Increases capacity for deeper social connections.
WHY IS T.O.N.E. APPROACH RELEVANT?
- Poor help-seeking behaviors in men = poor mental health outcomes.
- Men respond positively to non-traditional ways of doing therapy.
- Isolation and weak social connection are associated with poor health outcomes.
- 1 out of 10 men in Canada experience major depression;
- 4 out of 5 deaths by suicide in Canada, are by men; and that
- 7 out of 10 overdose deaths are men in Canada.
WHO IS T.O.N.E?
Nick Cardone is a Registered Counselling Therapist providing individual and group therapy with male clients, outside of traditional office settings.
Brian Braganza is and experiential and adult educator, specializing in work with men and boys.
- Nick and Brian co-developed the T.O.N.E Project in 2015, funded by a Movember Mental Health Innovation Grant.
- They are currently facilitating a T.O.N.E Project for men in the Spryfield area.
- Together Nick and Brian bring decades of experience working in mental health, addictions, adventure therapy and experiential education.