Chebucto Connections is committed to providing affordable fresh produce, bread and friendly faces.
The market will not be open to the public to come in and shop but we will still be providing produce packs to community members that are struggling during this time. People that are receiving help will be contacted to pick up their food. If you require assistance with food please call 902-477-0964 ext 10 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and leave your name, number and a brief message.
What are we doing?
In Spring of 2019 funding was cut for the Spryfield Mobile Market produce packs. Knowing that food insecurity didn’t disappear we decided to run a pilot food market for 2 months on a bi-weekly basis. Through donations and funding from the Community Health Board we were able to offer ‘Market Bucks’ to community members to help boost their food budget. Market Bucks allow people to come to the market and shop for the foods them and their family enjoy at no cost. Following the pilot we knew we had to keep going because the response was overwhelming, sometimes over 50 individuals and families were coming to shop and many times we ran out of food. We believe that access to nutrient dense fresh food is a right and as a community development agency we are committed to developing and delivering, innovative programs that address key community issues.
Why do we do this?
- Food insecurities contribute to higher healthcare cost
- Food insecurity is associated with childhood mental health problems such as hyperactivity and inattention
- Adults with food insecurity are more vulnerable to chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and back problems
- The risk in both children, youth and adults experiencing anxiety disorder, depression and suicidal thoughts increases with food insecurity.
The Canadian Food Guide encourages people to eat a well balanced diet that includes plenty of vegetables and fruit. Eating a well balanced diet is costly making it hard for people that are on a tight budget the luxury of providing such a diet to themselves and family. https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy-eating-resources/
How we do it
- We run a food market at our location every 2 weeks providing affordable fresh produce and bread
- Market Bucks are available to community members that may be experiencing financial difficulties
- Money spent at our market goes directly back into the program in order to keep funding the Market Bucks
Would you like to help?
- You could volunteer at our market (setting up, packing, ringing orders in)
- You could make a one time donation or become a monthly donor – CanadaHelps
- You can help support the program by shopping at our market
Market Bucks are only available though our Community Support Worker Tara Kinch at email@example.com , 902-477-0964 ext.25
or stop by our office at 531 Herring Cove Rd. Mon-Thurs 9-430pm
The Community Market is made possible by a partnership with the Mobile Market Bulk ordering program, contributions from our Pathways to Education program and Levenhurst Foundation. We are currently seeking additional funding to allow us to reach more people and get more food into homes.